scantily CLAD
sphynx
CATTERY

Follow
me

SPHYNX BLOG

My Pledge to the Sphynx Breed, and those who love them

11 years ago I registered my cattery name, with the purpose and focus to mitigate HCM in my beloved breed. I had experienced the suffocating loss of two pet Sphynx to this insidious disease, and I pledged to spend my life fighting for, and protecting this breed in honor of my departed boys. September 26th, 2020 Dr. Kathryn Meurs of NCSU shared with me the incredible news that she had finally identified a mutation in Sphynx responsible for about 60% of the HCM cases we see in the breed. Along with many other breeders I submitted my DNA samples the…
Read More

Sphynx HCM DNA TEST

Dr. Kathryn Meurs of North Carolina State University has recently made an incredible discovery in the Sphynx breed. After over a decade of research, she has identified one genetic mutation in roughly 60% of HCM cases in the breed. This highlights the importance of her continued research to locate the other mutation(s) responsible for the other 40% of cases. If you would like to make a direct donation to Dr. Meurs HCM research, you can do so by donating to the “Gus Fund” using this link; https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1209/give19/form.aspx?sid=1209&gid=214&pgid=7348&cid=11690&bledit=1&sort=1&dids=5940&appealcode=LB000256 So, what does this mean for Breeders? Simply put, this is an additional…
Read More

Kitten Vaccines Explained

Kitten Vaccines Explained Vaccines and the purpose behind multiple vaccinations in kittens can be a bit confusing for a lot of pet owners (and breeders). I think this warrants a simplified explanation so that we can all be better equipped with more understanding of the process. First, let’s elaborate on the immune system.  Think of the immune system as a three part machine. SKIN BARRIER/MUCOSAL BARRIER The skin is one of your kitten’s first methods of defense against any invasive pathogen. Different mechanisms like proteins and cilia can stave off bacterial/viral/fungal infiltration. Because this is the first method of defense…
Read More

L-lysine

Lets talk about L-lysine There is a world of misinformation out there on this tricky little Amino Acid and often times it’s recommended by pet owners. I’ve heard people make claims it boosts the immune system, it’s an antiviral, it cures herpes or other upper respiratory infections etc. Unfortunately, pet owners are not alone as many vets aren’t up to date on the newest information we have regarding L-lysine and cats, so these pet owners are at a disadvantage, simply trusting their vets. The medical field of veterinary science is forever evolving and changing as we learn and discover more,…
Read More

Sphynx Breed Mixes and Associated Health Risks

Sphynx Breed Mixes and Associated Health Risks I have always been vehemently opposed to “novelty” or “designer” breeding from an animal welfare and ethics standpoint.  I am of the opinion that breeding should be to protect, preserve and ameliorate your breed of choice, not to create numerous mixes with catchy names for financial gain. Let me preface this by saying that I love all cats, and I do not fault the pet owners who have been misguided into believing that their beloved mixed breed bambino or elf is a TICA or CFA sanctioned breed with the support of the cat…
Read More

A Breeder’s Promise To Her Queens

A Breeder’s Promise to her Queens When it comes time for you to experience pregnancy, this is my promise to you, and if this isn’t for you after one try then I will never ask this of you again. You are my priority. I will not leave your side when you are due, I will hold you and love you and sing to you, I will keep you safe and calm and will always protect you. My gratitude for you and your pregnancy will be known. You are my priority. When they are coming I will help clean them and…
Read More

Qualities of an Ethical Sphynx Breeder – What I strive for

Qualities of an Ethical Sphynx Breeder – What I strive for An ethical Sphynx breeder is actively working towards the goals of improving the breed’s health, promoting the breed through educating the public, supporting the breed via rescue work or volunteer work whenever possible, and preserving and protecting the natural mutation which helps make our breed so special.  This should never be intended as a source of income, breeding should not SUPPORT a breeder, instead a breeder should be supporting the breed.  This is a life consuming passion and hobby that is very expensive to maintain and establish. An ethical…
Read More

My Pledge to the Sphynx Breed, and those who love them

11 years ago I registered my cattery name, with the purpose and focus to mitigate HCM in my beloved breed. I had experienced the suffocating loss of two pet Sphynx to this insidious disease, and I pledged to spend my life fighting for, and protecting this breed in honor of my departed boys. September 26th, 2020 Dr. Kathryn Meurs of NCSU shared with me the incredible news that she had finally identified a mutation in Sphynx responsible for about 60% of the HCM cases we see in the breed. Along with many other breeders I submitted my DNA samples the…
Read More

Sphynx HCM DNA TEST

Dr. Kathryn Meurs of North Carolina State University has recently made an incredible discovery in the Sphynx breed. After over a decade of research, she has identified one genetic mutation in roughly 60% of HCM cases in the breed. This highlights the importance of her continued research to locate the other mutation(s) responsible for the other 40% of cases. If you would like to make a direct donation to Dr. Meurs HCM research, you can do so by donating to the “Gus Fund” using this link; https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1209/give19/form.aspx?sid=1209&gid=214&pgid=7348&cid=11690&bledit=1&sort=1&dids=5940&appealcode=LB000256 So, what does this mean for Breeders? Simply put, this is an additional…
Read More

Kitten Vaccines Explained

Kitten Vaccines Explained Vaccines and the purpose behind multiple vaccinations in kittens can be a bit confusing for a lot of pet owners (and breeders). I think this warrants a simplified explanation so that we can all be better equipped with more understanding of the process. First, let’s elaborate on the immune system.  Think of the immune system as a three part machine. SKIN BARRIER/MUCOSAL BARRIER The skin is one of your kitten’s first methods of defense against any invasive pathogen. Different mechanisms like proteins and cilia can stave off bacterial/viral/fungal infiltration. Because this is the first method of defense…
Read More

L-lysine

Lets talk about L-lysine There is a world of misinformation out there on this tricky little Amino Acid and often times it’s recommended by pet owners. I’ve heard people make claims it boosts the immune system, it’s an antiviral, it cures herpes or other upper respiratory infections etc. Unfortunately, pet owners are not alone as many vets aren’t up to date on the newest information we have regarding L-lysine and cats, so these pet owners are at a disadvantage, simply trusting their vets. The medical field of veterinary science is forever evolving and changing as we learn and discover more,…
Read More

Sphynx Breed Mixes and Associated Health Risks

Sphynx Breed Mixes and Associated Health Risks I have always been vehemently opposed to “novelty” or “designer” breeding from an animal welfare and ethics standpoint.  I am of the opinion that breeding should be to protect, preserve and ameliorate your breed of choice, not to create numerous mixes with catchy names for financial gain. Let me preface this by saying that I love all cats, and I do not fault the pet owners who have been misguided into believing that their beloved mixed breed bambino or elf is a TICA or CFA sanctioned breed with the support of the cat…
Read More
Menu